I have recently started riding my bicycle within 5 km distance to save time, money and get fitter. Needless to say, I quickly found my childhood joy of cycling! (even though I often got trapped in the middle of heavy polluted and congested traffic or got teased by male passersby. GRR!)
Spent absolutely Rp 0 for 3 roundtrips to the gym and grocery stores a week (which usually spent on Uber/ Gojek + multiple tiring phone calls to the drivers). I could reach 2 km distance in 10-15 mins (after finding nice shortcuts), in comparison to 30 mins waiting + travel time if I use Uber/Gojek. The downsides are I have to shower as soon as I reach a destination (cuz this is NOT a 4-season country like Italy), and run my washing machine more often.
“I noticed that I was spending huge money on things I didn’t really need: trips to the bar, pretty clothes, takeout coffee, and so on. And all this with a mortgage and other big expenses to take care of,” said the girl in the article.
Yass, I agree. Apparently, I can live without (Doohh, of course, you can!) buying new clothes, fatty snacks, fancy meals or even cut my lifestyle spending by 90%.
Things I miss the most:
- Salon treatment (seriously, biweekly pedicure, hair spa, massage routine is nice)
- Traveling to a new country
- Mingle with friends in fancy cafes (I limit social meetups only with small circle of friends at a time)
Things I don’t miss at all:
- Buying new clothes, shoes & bags
- Eating out after work (I like cooking for myself, cuz I can listen to music & think about other stuff while preparing the meals)
- Hipster food & drinks (Rejuve, Kopipapi, Kokonut, Shilin, MisterPotato, etc)
- Starbucks (bought a coffee maker instead. One cup brewed from good coffee beans only costs like Rp 1,500)
Things I still hold on to:
- Investment & insurance
- Platinum gym membership (it’s almost like breaking off a long relationship with your gym buddies, teachers, etc. Plus, I still need the yoga classes & hot showers in strategic malls around the city)
- Netflix (reduced it to 1 screen viewing, but I still like to see their original shows & I have committed to eliminate piracy within the best of my ability)
- Books & digital storage purchases (paperback, ebook, cloud server)
I will slowly get back to my old routines once I get the right full-time job, but I think I’ve learned a lot through this frugal living experience and will continue to ride my bicycle for fun & health reason. After all, I’ve lost like 3 kilos within 2 weeks. Not bad at all.